Deirdre McBennett - Partner
Deirdre McBennett is a banking lawyer at ByrneWallace. She specialises in secured corporate lending with specific emphasis on asset-based lending, restructuring and real estate finance. She acts for a range of financial institutions and borrowers both domestic and overseas.
As a partner in the firm's Banking & Finance Department, Deirdre acts for a number of financial institutions and borrowers, both individual and corporate, domestic and overseas. She advises on property, asset, commodity and energy projects, acquisition finance, structured finance and development finance. She has been involved in the funding and restructuring of a number of tax-based investment deals, with particular emphasis on the leisure, childcare and private healthcare sectors. She advises members of the retail banking sector on regulatory, consumer credit and anti-money laundering issues. In more recent times, Deirdre has advised a number of financial institutions in the area of corporate recovery, debt restructuring and workouts, and has significant experience of security reviews and due diligence prior to enforcement, and individual and portfolio loan sales.
Deirdre lectures on the Law Society of Ireland diploma courses in Corporate Law & Governance and Insolvency & Corporate Restructuring.
- Advised funders and developers on development & project finance for some of the countries largest mixed-use development schemes including Chartered land (Grand Canal Square, Ilac Centre, South King Street, Dublin Central); Castlethorn Construction (Dundrum Town Centre), and Shelbourne Development Group (Belgard Square, Tallaght).
- Advised on funding and property aspects of a number of structured finance transactions, including Caulfield Supermarket/Caulfield McCarthy Group (€70 million management buyout).
- Advising on funding and restructuring aspects of a number of tax-based hotel deals, including Clarion Hotel (Limerick); Carlton Hotel (Dublin Airport); Barberstown Castle; Ballyliffin Lodge Hotel & Spa.
- Acting for banks in the corporate, retail and food & agri sector, including loans to Monaghan Mushrooms and Boyne Valley Honey.
- Advising on Irish law aspects of multi-jurisdictional loan transactions such as Burdale Financial Limited funding to Klarius Group and The Book People.
- Diploma in Property Tax, Law Society of Ireland, 2003
- Qualified as a Solicitor, Law Society of Ireland, 2001
- Bachelor of Business & Legal Studies (BBLS), University College Dublin,1995
- Dublin Solicitors Bar Association
- Law Society of Ireland
Deirdre McBennett provides "high quality work" according to clients. She specialises in secured corporate lending, with particular experience in asset-based lending, restructuring and real estate finance.- Chambers Global 2014
Interviewees appreciate Deirdre McBennett's interpersonal skills and flexibility. "She is proactive and efficient, and gives us useful updates without being asked," says a source. - Chambers Global 2013
Deirdre McBennett's practice covers structured finance, tax-based lending and investment deals. She has a broad client base and notable expertise in acting for clients from the Hotel to the leisure sector.- Chambers & Partners 2012
Partner Deirdre McBennett's broad practice covers retail banking and acquisition and development finance. She is valued for prompt and effective advice - Chambers & Partners 2011