Diego Gallagher - Partner
Diego is an Partner Solicitor in the Health Services Department. His specialist area is Child Care Law and in particular applications under the Child Care Act 1991.
Diego has extensive experience advising and representing the Health Service Executive. Diego gives advice in reIation to child protection, mental health, wardship and adoption. Diego also has expertise in relation to related areas such as juvenile criminal justice, confidentiality, consent to treatment and fair procedures in the context of statutory investigations. Diego has extensive Court experience and has made applications in person in the District Court, Circuit Court, High Court and Coroners Court. .
- Advising in relation to District Court and High Court applications to place children in residential care facilities and foster care abroad.
- Advising In relation to judicial review proceedings brought by a person to set aside an investigation by the Health Service Executve into allegations of abuse made against that person.
- The successful prosecution of a newspaper under section 31 of the Child Care Act 1991 for breaching the prohibition on publishing information likely to identify children subject to proceedings under the 1991 Act.
- Successfully applying under section 25 of the Mental Health Act 2001 to place a 17 year old child in a psychiatric hospital.
- Bachelor of Laws LLB (Hons), Trinity College Dublin, 2001
- Admitted to Roll of Solicitors, Law Society of Ireland, 2005
- Certificate in Legal Spanish. Law Society of Ireland, 2006
- CEDR Mediation Advocacy Certificate, 2010
Memberships & Appointments
- Law Society of Ireland
- Free Legal Advice Centres. Diego volunteers on a monthly basis with FLAC.
- Dublin Solicitors Bar Association (DSBA)
- Council member of the DSBA.
- Vice chairsperson of the DSBA Family Law Committee.
- Appointed by the Minister for Children and Youth Affairs to sit on the Board of the National Children Detention Schools in Oberstown.
- Diego has given extensive training to the HSE and has co-authored a training booklet for Social Workers. Diego also lectures for the DSBA and FLAC.
- "Child Care Law in Dublin District Court: A New Practice Direction" was published in Dublin Solicitors Bar Associaion Magazine "Parchment" - Autumn 2012