Gerard Butler - Partner
Gerard is a partner focusing on insurance litigation and regulatory investigations.
Gerard is a known commercial litigator and has extensive experience advising in all areas of litigation including : contract & commercial disputes; arbitrations; professional negligence claims; judicial review; emergency relief; insurance & regulatory issues; health & safety legislation; corporate recovery and insolvency; he advises in conjunction with corporate department on shareholder disputes ; advises in discovery applications.
Gerard leads both the Insurance and the Health & Safety sectors within the litigation department and he has a strong background in personal injury matters and representing builder/contractor clients.
- Lead Partner for the Plaintiffs in the Menolly Homes -v- Irish Asphalt Limited pyrite case, described in 2010 as "the heaviest piece of construction litigation in the world". Excessive levels of the mineral pyrite in sub-floor building aggregates had caused heave and damage to hundreds of houses built by our client, who was being sued by 650 homeowners. Gerard managed a team of up to 40 people achieving a successful settlement of the action and successfully negotiated settlement with lawyers for the 650 homeowners who were represented by 46 separate law firms guaranteeing remediation for the 650homeowners' houses affected. The case was at heard in the Commercial Court and involved extensive discovery both electronic and hard copy.
- Successfully defended the largest case to come before the Commercial Court the Whitewater case which saw the successful settlement and purchase of a 50% stake in the Whitewater Shopping Centre for our client Kevin Warren for c. €200m;
- Representing a main contractor in an Arbitration concerning major site development work in Dublin involving a multi-million pound dispute concerning claims for delay, loss and expenses, defective work, diminution in value and loss of revenue. The dispute was ultimately settled on advices prior to full Arbitration, resulting in a substantial saving on behalf of our client;
- Representing main contractor in a multi-million pound dispute involving site developer, concerning re-measurement of works already agreed, re-opening of accounts and revisiting contracts extending over an eight year period which had not been signed off. Matter was referred for Arbitration but after extensive work was negotiated resulting in a substantial saving for the client;
- Represents a number of the leading national insurers in defence of employer liability, public liability and road traffic cases; represents clients who are self insured liaising with UK underwriters and handling the claims portfolio on behalf of the clients.
- Acts on behalf of a semi-state body in defence of all of High Court, Circuit Court and District Court claims totalling 220 per annum.
- Leads the firm's legal team delivering Health & Safety advice private sector bodies, and builder/developer clients during the recent economic boom. His has expertise in advising on serious accidents at work including fatalities. He has worked closely with clients on Health & Safety Authority investigations and subsequent prosecutions and represented clients in defending Court actions brought by the Health & Safety Authority.
- Qualified as a Solicitors, Law Society of Ireland, 1978
- The Law Society of Ireland
- Dublin Solicitors Bar Association
- Association of Regulatory & Disciplinary Lawyers
Gerard Butler is a respected commercial litigator with experience in commercial disputes, professional negligence claims and insurance and regulatory matters.- Chambers Global 2014
Gerard Butler impresses market commentators with his performance on high-profile mandates. He handles personal injury and commercial disputes. - Chambers Global 2013
Gerard Butler is an active presence in the Commercial Court , recently representing Menolly Homes against a supplier in one of the largest claims to come before the Court. He is credited as being "excellent at dealing with difficult issues that arise. He gives people confidence and has an aura of authority". - Chambers & Partners 2012