Jon Legorburu - Consultant
Jon is Head of Dispute Resolution at ByrneWallace. His specialist areas are financial services, corporate and intellectual property litigation and he is rated in the legal directories for his work in these areas.
His work focuses on the early economic analysis of cases, rational behaviour in dispute situations, and strategies designed to achieve business gains where conflicts arise. He is well versed in all types of Court actions including Mareva Injunctions, Anton Piller Orders and other pre-emptive remedies. He has a very high success rate in getting disputes resolved quickly and effectively.
His chosen areas of specialisation are company and corporate disputes, regulatory disputes, project based litigation in the construction and logistics sectors, and intellectual property/information technology matters. His work has included representing clients in business critical injunctions to protect or freeze assets and he has worked in leading law firms in England and Australasia including Slaughter and May in the United Kingdom and Chapman Tripp in New Zealand, before joining ByrneWallace in 2010.
- Acting for the Credit Union industry in its litigation with the Central Bank
- Acting for various hedge funds and SPV plaintiffs in multi-jurisdictional investor protection related litigation
- Advising Irish and global businesses on regulatory matters – investigations, discovery, and compliance
- Representing developers in pyrite related litigation
- Representing and successfully resolving disputes for numerous universities in litigation against global software suppliers
- Obtaining injunctive relief for clients in multiple trade mark, patent infringement claims and revocation proceedings
- Resolving numerous partnership and shareholder disputes through mediation and Court action
- Acting in bank related litigation in Ireland and the United Kingdom
- Representing a large London based stockbroker in a major IT re-insourcing project
- Acting for various companies in the aviation sector in supply contract disputes
- Acting for a major software manufacturer in the prosecution of its national anti-piracy programme
- Acting for a national media company in the prosecution of its database right infringement programme
- Advising on all areas of intellectual property including copyright, patents, trademarks, design right, passing off and database right
- Bachelor of Arts (BA)(Honours)(Political Science), University of King’s College, Halifax, Canada, 1990
- Master of Science (Msc)(Econ)(British Politics), London School of Economics and Political Science
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB), University of Edinburgh, 1994
- Common Professional Exam (CPE) , College of Law, Store Street, London, 1995
- Legal Practice Course (LPC) , College of Law, Store Street, London, 1996
- Admitted as a Solicitor, Law Society of England & Wales, 1998
- Admitted as a Barrister, New Zealand Law Society, 1999
- Admitted as a solicitor in Ireland in 2010
- Dublin Solicitors Bar Association
- Law Society of Ireland
- Law Society of England & Wales
- Law Society of New Zealand
- Member of the Anti-Counterfeiting Group
- Member of the Society of Computers and the Law
Jon has published articles relating to shareholder disputes, and has spoken on issues ranging from email misuse to mediation and regulatory affairs.