Lorcan Dunphy - Associate
Lorcan is an Associate Solicitor in the Health Services Department at ByrneWallace. He has extensive advocacy expertise in contested child care proceedings. His specialist area is Child Care Law and primarily advises and represents the HSE in this area. Lorcan trained in a general country practice dealing with a wide variety of legal areas including conveyancing, probate and litigation before his move to Child Care Law. Lorcan joined the firm’s Health Services Department in 2004.
Lorcan has significant court experience of over 12 years appearing on an almost daily basis, without counsel. He advises and represents the HSE at all stages with respect to child protection issues. Lorcan's areas of legal expertise include juvenile criminal justice, domestic violence, adoption, wardship, mental health, judicial review proceedings and applications under the Child Care Act 1991. Lorcan represents clients in all courts.
- Lorcan appears on an ongoing basis in contentious child protection proceedings in all courts. He prepares and runs complex and contested applications under the Child Care Act 1991.
- successfully advised and represented the HSE in a number of contentious international child protection cases involving recognition of court orders between jurisdictions and liaison with UK courts and legal representatives.
- successfully established through High Court proceedings that a District Court Judge is not precluded from hearing a full care order hearing where he has previously dealt with the case at interim care order stages.
- successfully advised in relation to High Court proceedings brought by a person to prevent the HSE investigation into abuse allegations against that person.
- advises on highly sensitive enquiries into allegations of current and retrospective child abuse.
- has made many successful adoption applications and emergency applications under the Mental Health Act 2001 to place minors in psychiatric hospitals.
- Certificate in Mediation Advocacy, Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution 2010
- Admitted to Roll of Solicitors, Law Society of Ireland 2001
- Bachelor of Laws LLB (Hons) National University of Ireland, Galway 1997
- Diploma in Irish (Hons) National University of Ireland, Galway 1997
- Bachelor of Arts (Hons) National University of Ireland, Galway 1995
- The Law Society of Ireland
- Dublin Solicitors Bar Association
- District and Circuit Family Law Court User Group
- Family Lawyers Association of Ireland