Lorraine Smyth - Partner
Having worked in the insurance industry for a number of years, Lorraine joined the firm in 2000. She qualified as a solicitor in 2004 and has practiced exclusively in the area of employment law since then. Lorraine is a Partner in the Employment Department and she is also a member of the firm’s Outsourcing Group and the Sports Law Group. Lorraine has extensive experience in all aspects of contentious and non-contentious employment law. She has particular expertise in advising clients on all aspects of business transfers/ transfer of undertakings and has advised numerous national and international clients through outsourcing, restructuring, redundancy and collective redundancy processes. Lorraine has also established expertise in the areas of data protection legislation and restraint of trade.
Lorraine regularly speaks on employment law issues at seminars and she has provided in-house training on employment topics to businesses in diverse sectors of industry. Lorraine has also lectured and tutored on the Employment Law Module of the Law Society Professional Practice Course.
- Drafting and reviewing service contracts, HR policies and procedures and executive severance packages; Advising on issues relating to recruitment and termination of employment;
- Consulting on all aspects of change management, including the law on transfer of undertakings and redundancy and providing advices on the employment aspects of outsourcing and restructuring;
- Assisting clients with the management of investigations, grievance and disciplinary procedures including advising clients on all aspects of dealing with hearings and appeals involved in the processes;
- Advising on all aspects of employment disputes including internal procedures and statutory and civil claims;
- Providing advice on all aspects of data protection legislation including reviewing and drafting of data protection policies, formulating and responding to data access requests and advising on interpretation of statutory provisions;
- Drafting and advising on the enforceability of restrictive covenants. Lorraine has acted on behalf of a number of Defence and Plaintiff clients in High Court restraint of trade proceedings, including acting in Brightwater Recruitment v Allen & Anor reported at  IEHC 155 and Pulse Group Limited & Anor v Ciaran O’Reilly & Anor reported at  IEHC50;
- Representing clients at hearings in the Labour Relations Commission, Labour Court, Employment Appeals Tribunal, Equality Tribunal and in the civil courts.
- Business and Legal Studies degree (BBLS), University College Dublin, 1995
- Admitted to the Roll of Solicitors in 2004
- Law Society of Ireland
- Dublin Solicitors Bar Association