Mark Kavanagh - Partner
Mark joined the firm in 1997 and has been a partner in the firm's Banking and Financial Services Department since 2005.
Mark advises both national and international financial institutions, corporate and individual borrowers on banking matters. He has extensive experience advising on secured and unsecured lending, cashflow lending, development finance and tax-based lending.
More recently, Mark has been advising financial institutions on loan sales, development finance and debt restructurings.
Mark is a member of the Management Committee in ByrneWallace and is on the Business Law Committee in the Law Society. He lectures on the Law Society of Ireland Professional Practice Course II- Banking Law Course and Certificate in Banking Law, Practice & Bankruptcy.
- Lead partner in ByrneWallace on the IBRC loan sale disposal project, Project Stone, in 2013.
- Advised Oak Acquisitions Limited in the refinance by Bank of Ireland of the SWS Group debts with IBRC from Project Evergreen in November 2013.
- Advised M2i Group on the funding element of the international demerger of its radiopetpharmaceuticals business with Alliance Medical.
- Part of ByrneWallace team advising NAMA on the Project Drive loan sale which included loans secured on Northside Shopping Centre
- Advising a number of financial institutions (including both NAMA and AIB) on the provision of development finance in 2014.
- Lead banking partner on the legal team which acted for the Irish subsidiary of Amarin Corporation in Amarin’s $100m hybrid debt-like financing with Biopharma.
- Lead banking partner advising and representing Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company BV, a subsidiary of Marriott International Inc in relation to the restructuring of CarryLane Limited (in Examinership) which owns the Ritz-Carlton Powerscourt, Wicklow.
- In late 2012, advised Quality Healthcare (Group) Limited on the structuring and banking related issues on the sale of Quality Healthcare (Shanakiel) Limited.
- Bachelor of Business and Legal Studies Degree, University College Dublin, 1996
- Diploma in Financial Services Law, University College Dublin, 2000
- Admitted as a solicitor in Ireland, Law Society of Ireland, 2000
- Admitted to the Roll of Solicitors in England and Wales, 2010
- Law Society of Ireland
- Dublin Solicitor's Bar Association
- Law Society of England and Wales
Mark Kavanagh is "praised by clients as accessible, easy to work with and a very technically skilled lawyer" - Chambers Global 2014
Mark Kavanagh, who is ‘thorough and easy to engage with’- Legal 500, 2014
Mark Kavanagh is popular with clients: "He takes a practical approach to solving problems and provides workable solutions which protect the interests of our business." - Chambers Global 2013
Mark Kavanagh has particular experience in advising on commercial lending, asset-based lending, development finance and project finance. He is valued by clients, who say " his insight is hugely important – he raised issues in a practical and proactive way" - Chambers & Partners 2012
Mark Kavanagh is praised by clients through his speed of response and ability "to break down different difficult issues to a simple level" - Chambers & Partners 2011