Michelle Ní Longáin - Partner
Michelle is a partner in the Employment Department and is the firm's Compliance Partner. She has extensive experience in employment, equality and administrative law. Michelle qualified as a solicitor in Northern Ireland practising there in employment and equality law from 1994, moving to England and Wales in 1996 and returning to Ireland in 1999 when she joined the firm. Michelle advises Public and Private Sector clients, primarily employers, on complex areas of employment, equality and administrative law.
As well as being head of the firm’s Public Sector Group, Michelle is also a member of Council of the Law Society of Ireland and of Council of the Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland. Michelle's membership of the Councils of two regulatory bodies and many of their committees inform her advices to clients, particularly in the Public and regulatory sector. Michelle has strong experience in advising and representing clients in internal and external matters and in all legal fora. Michelle provides training to clients and in public lectures including the Law Society continuing professional development and diploma programmes.
- Advising the Local Authority Sector, including its Management Services Board, on employment policies and their implementation and representing Local Authorities in litigation around the country.
- Advising the HSE in matters involving medical consultants and staff at all levels and acting in litigation including Supreme Court pharmacy and High Court freedom of information litigation.
- Advising the Boards of clients companies in relation to employment matters at the most senior levels.
- Advising Irish Plcs and multinationals in relation to major redundancy exercises and their handling of sensitive employment law disputes and litigation.
- Advising public sector clients on freedom of information obligations and advising public and private sector clients on their data protection obligations.
- Advising on Equality implications of employee benefit packages including severance scheme and bonuses.
- Advising and representing clients on all areas of equality law at all levels, including equal status matters applying across the health sector.
- LLB (Hons, Queens University Belfast)
- Michelle is also co-author of the Law Society employment law manual, the Law Society's discrimination law manual and Tolley's employment law.
- Law Society of Ireland
- Council of Law Society of Ireland
- Council of Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland
- Dublin Solicitors Bar Association
Chambers and Partners. Michelle Ní Longáin “does quality work”, according to interviewees. She was particularly commended for her expertise in equality-related matters.