Alan is a Partner in the ByrneWallace LLP Health & Social Care Team specialising in Health and Social Care, Regulatory and Administrative Law.
He has a background in criminal law and procedure and civil litigation, having practiced in the highly legislated field of corporate governance advising many large companies of their statutory obligations.
Alan’s past experience has been hugely beneficial in advising numerous healthcare organisations and in particular Ireland’s State health service provider.
He has extensive experience advising public sector clients on statutory obligations and statutory interpretation, regulatory compliance, public, administrative, constitutional and EU law.
Alan has substantial court experience and is an experienced advocate attending all courts in relation to criminal law, public and administrative law matters. He regularly advises State Bodies on judicial review proceedings and the impact of decisions of the Superior Courts on statutory interpretation and the functions of State Bodies.
- Routinely advises a State Body and Hospitals in relation to the bringing of urgent medical treatment applications before the High Court
- Advised and co-ordinated a national project of disclosures to a recently concluded Commission of Investigation.
- Advised and successfully defended numerous judicial review and habeas corpus applications before the High Court and Court of Appeal
- Represented Caranua in Successfully defending a number of statutory appeals brought before the High Court
- Advises and represents a State Body in the Irish Healthcare sector in regulatory enforcement proceedings, both criminal prosecution and civil enforcement in the District and Circuit Court.
- Advisor to Ireland’s National Forensic Mental Health Service, advising on statutory obligations and adherence to the statutory requirements surrounding the admission and discharge of patients under both the Criminal and Civil jurisdictions.
- Advised a State Body in the Healthcare sector on the withdrawal of life sustaining medical treatment
- 2010 - Admitted as a Solicitor in Ireland, England and Wales
- 2018 - Certificate in Company Secretarial Law and Practice
- 2020 - Advanced Diploma in Corporate, White-Collar & Regulatory Crime
- Law Society of Ireland
- Law Society of England and Wales