Michael WalshPartner firstname.lastname@example.org +353 1 691 5674
ByrneWallace LLP advises PATRIZIA....
Zalando - 2 Windmill Lane
ByrneWallace advised Zalando, on its letting of the redeveloped 2 Windmill Lane scheme. ...
Patrizia Immoblien GmbH
ByrneWallace has acted for Patrizia Immoblien GmbH on the forward purchase of Benson Building....
Michael is the Chair of the ByrneWallace LLP Property Law team, and is widely regarded as one of Ireland’s leading real estate lawyers. He joined the firm as a partner in 1999.
Michael is an accomplished practitioner with extensive experience in real estate matters including development, investment acquisitions and disposals, and in the PRS, residential, hotel, office and warehousing/logistics sectors.
Michael has unrivalled experience in the forward sale and forward funding of residential and mixed use schemes. The earlier part of his career was focused mainly on retail-focused developments, having led out on a number of large and high-profile developments and investments, including Dundrum Town Centre. Michael enjoys the challenge of complex transactions and projects, particularly those involving multi-disciplinary teams.
Michael has been a regular contributor over fifteen years to the Law Society's Continuing Professional Development and Diploma programmes. He is a contributing author to the Law Society's "Complex Conveyancing" manual. He is currently the Chair of the Law Society’s Conveyancing Committee where he has been a member since 2015 (vice-chair 2020).
Key transaction experience
- Acted for the European Union via the European Parliament in its forward purchase of a substantial office premises in Dublin
- Advising on Twinlite's forward sale to a well-known German investment fund of c 101 new build residential units at Dalkey, County Dublin
- Acted for Aviva Life & Pensions in two large retail investment disposals in 2020
- Acted for Twinlite on it forward sale to Tristan Capital, of c 372 new build residential units at Clongriffin, Dublin
- Acted for international online retailer Zalando on its major office space letting in Dublin’s South Docklands
- Acted for Cinamol in the forward sale of one of the first dedicated Build to Let (BTL) residential developments in Dublin to Avestus
- Acted for Davy Hickey Properties in the forward sale of a substantial residential scheme at Citywest, Dublin to Urbeo
- Acting for Patrizia Immoblien in its forward purchase of a PRS scheme and commercial units in Dublin’s South Docks
- Acted for international tech company Qualtrics on its major office space letting at Chatham & King, Dublin
- Acted for Patrizia Immoblien on the purchase of the Oval Dublin, a large office dominated mixed use commercial scheme and in the recent major space letting there to WeWork.
- Acted for Glenveagh Properties PLC on acquisition mandates across several holdings for the development of several thousand residential units
- Acted for Targeted Investments ICAV (Oaktree Capital) on the purchases of Newhall Retail Park, County Kildare and Waterford Retail Park, County Waterford
- Acted for Irish Life Assurance Plc in acquisition of a number of retail and office investments
- Acted for the European Commission with regard to its Dublin office requirements
- Acted for Kennedy Wilson Europe plc on the purchase of office blocks in well-known Dublin office park
- Acted for Ornua (formerly Irish Dairy Board) on its acquisition of land and the development of a manufacturing facility in Cork Acted in the acquisition of 30+ industrial and logistics units for EQT Exeter Group
- From project inception to 2018, acted as lead lawyer on the major Dundrum Town Centre project, incorporating Ireland's largest shopping centre (opened in 2005 and acquired by Hammerson and Allianz in 2016)
- Acted as lead lawyer on the development of several retail and mixed use schemes including: Athlone Town Centre, South King Street Centre (Dublin) and Gorey Town Centre
- Acted as lead lawyer on the Pavilions, Swords Phase 2 extension (opened 2007) and overseeing the asset management of the Pavilions Shopping Centre from 2006 for over 10 years.
- Bachelor of Civil Law (BCL), University College Cork, 1991
- Bachelor of Law (LLB), University College Cork, 1992
- Qualified as a Solicitor, Law Society of Ireland, 1995
Memberships & CSR
- Dublin Solicitors Bar Association
- The Law Society of Ireland
- Board of Directors Member - Chamber Choir Ireland, a registered charity (2010 to 2014) (Chair 2011-2014)
- The Law Society of Ireland’s Conveyancing Committee
‘Michael Walsh is extremely knowledgeable, commercial and a great problem solver. He takes a very collaborative approach and is extremely approachable!’ - Legal 500, 2022
‘Michael Walsh is well respected with in-depth knowledge of his subject matter.’ - Legal 500, 2022
Michael Walsh is described by sources as an "excellent technical property lawyer." He advises corporate landowners on the sale of retail premises. He is also experienced on the buyer and the developer sides of forward purchase transactions. - Chambers Europe, 2022
‘Michael Walsh is one the finest real estate lawyers in Ireland and he has built a team of dedicated professionals that are, quite literally, always on-call to deliver. We work with 5 large law firms in Ireland and easily place the real estate team in ByrneWallace as number one.’ - Legal 500, 2021
Interviewees identify Michael Walsh as an experienced lawyer and a prominent figure in the market. He acts for corporate landowners on the sale of retail premises. He also has experience on the buyer and the developer sides of forward purchase transactions. - Chambers Europe, 2021
Michael Walsh is diligent, attentive and committed. - Legal 500, 2020
‘Michael Walsh, Michelle McVeigh and Bryan O’Gorman for being able to guide the client through some very detailed and complex deals. They drew on their experience to provide excellent legal advice with an understanding of the commercial needs for the deal to succeed.‘ - Legal 500, 2020
Michael Walsh has experience acting for indigenous and international clients on transactions and property developments. He is reputed for his expertise in construction and acts for a number of clients in the residential, hospitality, and logistics sectors. - Chambers Europe, 2019
Described by Legal 500 2019 as a "Leading Individual" - Legal 500, 2019
Clients praise Michael Walsh as "proactive in anticipating issues" and say that he is "thorough, diligent and detail-oriented." "He has an incredible grasp of complex real estate legislation and is very up to date with changes," states another interviewee. - Chambers Europe, 2018
Clients feel that Michael Walsh has "a good combination of attention to detail, the ability to see beyond the obvious and commerciality." Walsh advises clients from the residential, retail and hotel sectors on property development, as well as acquisitions and disposals. He acted for Oaktree Capital Management on the EUR20 million acquisition of Newhall Retail Park in Naas. - Chambers Europe, 2017
Michael Walsh has ‘clear dedication to clients’ - Legal 500, 2016
Michael Walsh is a real estate specialist with significant expertise in retail development, as well as offering a broad transactional real estate practice. Lately, he advised Crossridge Investments on the purchase, development and funding of Dundrum Town Centre. - Chambers Europe, 2016
Impressed clients describe group head Michael Walsh as a "very practical, thorough and responsive lawyer." His experience of property acquisitions, disposals and investments includes notable activity in the retail sector. - Chambers & Partners, 2015
“He gets to the heart of the matter whilst simplifying difficult aspects of the transaction, highlighting appropriate risks in a clear and focused manner" say clients - Chambers Europe, 2014
Michael Walsh is ‘meticulous in his attention to detail’ - Legal 500, 2014
"Clients report Michael Walsh “has an exceptionally smart brain – he doesn’t get caught out. He has an innate skill of getting top companies to see matters from his perspective” - Chambers Europe, 2013
"Michael Walsh is a respected commercial property practitioner and is hugely experienced in advising retail clients. He advises pavilions shopping centre on a range of major transactions." - Chambers & Partners, 2012
"Michael Walsh is highly regarded for his commercial property expertise and is praised by clients as "a first-class negotiator who delivers the goods no matters what the situation." - Chambers & Partners, 2011
"Michael Walsh offers banking and construction expertise" - Chambers & Partners, 2010
"He takes a strong commercial interest and has a far-sighted view about problems that may occur down the line, comment clients. He’s fantastic in his drafting, and we always feel we’ve taken a great, long-term decision.- Chambers & Partners, 2009