Zalando - 2 Windmill Lane
ByrneWallace advised Zalando, on its letting of the redeveloped 2 Windmill Lane scheme. ...
Patrizia Immoblien GmbH
ByrneWallace has acted for Patrizia Immoblien GmbH on the forward purchase of Benson Building....
ByrneWallace have advised Twinlite, with its collaboration with Tristan Capital Partners ...
Michael is the Head of Property at ByrneWallace, and is widely regarded as one of Ireland’s leading real estate lawyers. He joined the firm as a partner in 1999.
Michael is an accomplished practitioner with extensive experience in real estate matters including development, investment acquisitions and disposals, the residential, hotel, office and warehousing/logistics sectors.
Michael has unrivalled experience in retail-focused developments having acted in a number of high-end investment transactions and developments. He has strong experience in the property asset management and hotel management sectors. Michael enjoys the challenge of complex transactions and projects, particularly those involving multi-disciplinary teams.
Michael has been a regular contributor for over ten years to the Law Society's Continuing Professional Development and Diploma programmes. He is a contributing author to the Law Society's "Complex Conveyancing" manual. He has been a member of the Law Society’s Conveyancing Committee since 2015.
Key transaction experience
- Acted for Patrizia Immoblien on the purchase of the Oval Dublin, a modern office dominated mixed use commercial scheme, in a deal reported at €140 million+ (2016)
- Acted for Targeted Investments ICAV (Oaktree Capital) on the purchases of Newhall Retail Park, County Kildare and Waterford Retail Park, County Waterford (2016)
- Acted for an Irish Plc in the recent acquisition of multiple retail and office premises
- Acted for the European Commission and European Parliament with regard to their Dublin office
- Acted for Kennedy Wilson Europe plc on the purchase of office blocks in well-known Dublin office park (2016)
- Acted for Ornua (formerly Irish Dairy Board) in relation to its acquisition of land and the development of a manufacturing facility in Cork (2015/2016)
- Acted in the acquisition of 30+ industrial and logistics units for Exeter Properties
- Since 2000, acting as lead lawyer on the major Dundrum Town Centre project, incorporating Ireland's largest shopping centre (opened in 2005 and acquired by Hammerson and Allianz in 2016)
- Acting as lead lawyer on the development of several retail and mixed use schemes including: Athlone Town Centre, South King Street Centre (Dublin) and Gorey Town Centre
- Acting as lead lawyer on the Pavilions, Swords Phase 2 extension (opened 2007) and overseeing the asset management of the Pavilions Shopping Centre from 2006 to date.
- Bachelor of Civil Law (BCL), University College Cork, 1991
- Bachelor of Law (LLB), University College Cork, 1992
- Qualified as a Solicitor, Law Society of Ireland, 1995
Memberships & CSR
- Dublin Solicitors Bar Association
- The Law Society of Ireland
- Board of Directors Member - Chamber Choir Ireland, a registered charity (2010 to 2014) (Chair 2011-2014)
- The Law Society of Ireland’s Conveyancing Committee
Michael Walsh is diligent, attentive and committed. - Legal 500, 2020
‘Michael Walsh, Michelle McVeigh and Bryan O’Gorman for being able to guide the client through some very detailed and complex deals. They drew on their experience to provide excellent legal advice with an understanding of the commercial needs for the deal to succeed.‘ - Legal 500, 2020
Michael Walsh has experience acting for indigenous and international clients on transactions and property developments. He is reputed for his expertise in construction and acts for a number of clients in the residential, hospitality, and logistics sectors. - Chambers Europe, 2019
Described by Legal 500 2019 as a "Leading Individual" - Legal 500, 2019
Clients praise Michael Walsh as "proactive in anticipating issues" and say that he is "thorough, diligent and detail-oriented." "He has an incredible grasp of complex real estate legislation and is very up to date with changes," states another interviewee. - Chambers Europe, 2018
Clients feel that Michael Walsh has "a good combination of attention to detail, the ability to see beyond the obvious and commerciality." Walsh advises clients from the residential, retail and hotel sectors on property development, as well as acquisitions and disposals. He acted for Oaktree Capital Management on the EUR20 million acquisition of Newhall Retail Park in Naas. - Chambers Europe, 2017
Michael Walsh has ‘clear dedication to clients’ - Legal 500, 2016
Michael Walsh is a real estate specialist with significant expertise in retail development, as well as offering a broad transactional real estate practice. Lately, he advised Crossridge Investments on the purchase, development and funding of Dundrum Town Centre. - Chambers Europe, 2016
Impressed clients describe group head Michael Walsh as a "very practical, thorough and responsive lawyer." His experience of property acquisitions, disposals and investments includes notable activity in the retail sector. - Chambers & Partners, 2015
“He gets to the heart of the matter whilst simplifying difficult aspects of the transaction, highlighting appropriate risks in a clear and focused manner" say clients - Chambers Europe, 2014
Michael Walsh is ‘meticulous in his attention to detail’ - Legal 500, 2014
"Clients report Michael Walsh “has an exceptionally smart brain – he doesn’t get caught out. He has an innate skill of getting top companies to see matters from his perspective” - Chambers Europe, 2013
"Michael Walsh is a respected commercial property practitioner and is hugely experienced in advising retail clients. He advises pavilions shopping centre on a range of major transactions." - Chambers & Partners, 2012
"Michael Walsh is highly regarded for his commercial property expertise and is praised by clients as "a first-class negotiator who delivers the goods no matters what the situation." - Chambers & Partners, 2011
"Michael Walsh offers banking and construction expertise" - Chambers & Partners, 2010
"He takes a strong commercial interest and has a far-sighted view about problems that may occur down the line, comment clients. He’s fantastic in his drafting, and we always feel we’ve taken a great, long-term decision.- Chambers & Partners, 2009