Sean is a partner in the ByrneWallace LLP Litigation & Dispute Resolution Team.
He has a background in criminal law and has significant experience in acting for and dealing with regulatory bodies. Seán is experienced in the area of regulatory prosecutions and has defended cases brought by many state regulators including the Environmental Protection Agency and the Health and Safety Authority. Seán prosecutes various offences for the Health Service Executive and is an experienced advocate in the District Court. Seán has represented and advised persons of interest in investigations and inquiries.
Seán advises corporate clients in relation to Data Protection Law and in particular in relation to Data Access Requests and Data Security Breaches.
Seán advises state bodies in relation to their powers and functions and has advised on investigating complaints and investigating alleged offences. He has also advised on the redrafting of regulations.
He has advised directors of companies in relation to their exposure in regulatory and criminal investigations. He has also advised on search warrants and advised a private client in relation to a dawn raid by the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission.
- Successfully defended large manufacturing company in a Health and Safety prosecution which was ultimately struck out by the Court.
- Represented, advised and attended interviews with clients in the context of investigations by the Office of Director of Corporate Enforcement and the Health and Safety Authority and An Garda Síochána.
- Advised an Irish Tourism organisation on the redrafting of regulations in relation to hotels.
- Advising an Irish Tourism organisation on its enforcement powers under its statutory regime.
- Advises and represents a leading body in the Irish Healthcare sector in regulatory enforcement proceedings (prosecution and civil enforcement) in the District and Circuit Court.
- Advised public body on the General Block Exemption Regulation in relation to the provision of State Aid.
- Advised and represented several private and public organisations in dealing with Data Access Requests and Data Security Breaches.
- Certificate in Data Protection Practice, Law Society of Ireland, 2015
- Advanced Diploma in Juvenile Justice, Honourable Society of Kings Inns, 2014
- Certificate in Healthcare Law and Practice, Law Society of Ireland, 2013
- Advanced Diploma in Corporate, Regulatory and White Collar Crime: Honourable Society of Kings Inns, 2012
- CEDR Mediation Advocacy Certificate, 2010
- Professional Qualification as Solicitor; Law Society of Ireland, 2006
- Law and European Studies (L.L.B), University of Limerick, 2002
- Association of Regulatory Lawyers
- The Law Society of Ireland
- Dublin Solicitors Bar Association
Seán O’Donnell has extensive experience of advising and representing clients in white-collar crime situations and related areas.‘ - Legal 500, 2020
We regard Seán O’Donnell as a leading figure in the area of white-collar crime. His practical advice cuts to the chase in what can be complex regulatory areas. - Legal 500, 2020
Seán O’Donnell is a very hands-on and knowledgeable lawyer who provides clear and unambiguous advice. - Legal 500, 2020
Seán O’Donnell is client and delivery focused. - Legal 500, 2020
Seán O’Donnell is proficient, engaged and highly responsive. He is also an unusually good listener and an excellent strategist. I couldn’t rate him more highly. - Legal 500, 2020
The ‘calm and very thorough’ O’Donnell has significant experience in defending individuals in criminal investigations, and was active on behalf of corporates and individuals in defending alleged frauds. - Legal 500, 2018